Summarizing a journal is not hard when you know the rules. Summarizing is a common task that is given to students and you need to effectively know about it so that you can able to convince your readers and you can provide the needed information.
Writing article summary requires you to understand the basic understanding of writing formats as well as elements so that you know what information you need to include and what you should not. The essential thing you need to remember is that you need to cite the sources properly.
How to Summarize a Journal Article
- Read the abstract: Abstracts are short paragraphs that are written by author and mostly it is 100 to 200 words. It provides a short summary of the original source. The purpose of it is to scan the journal quickly. Try to read journal article summary example to gain ideas.
- Understand the context of research: Ensure that you know what the author will discuss. With this, you can able to know what quotes, data and arguments you need to pick out and what you need to analyze in writing a summary.
- Skip the conclusion: You need to skip the conclusion but you need to find out the main topic and to learn where the arguments and outlines will be leading.
- Identify the main position or argument of the article: In order to avoid reading the journal for multiple times, you need to know the main argument the first time you read it. You need to make notes or highlight the main ideas.
- Scan the argument: Researching some tips on how to summarize a journal article example will help you. You will know that you need to read the journal article and get the key concepts as well as ideas.
- Take notes while you read: The key to having a good summary is about efficiency. You should read actively and focus also on the sub-section titles. You need to be a focus and make notes on the introduction, methodology, research results as well as to the conclusion.
To have an easy task, you can check out summarize a journal article sample online. Such article summary examples or article rewriting service help you a lot because you have a basis and a guide. To avoid plagiarism and get a flawless paper you might want to use online paraphrasing.
Sample Article Summary: A Guide for You
Summary of National Security Justifies Censorship
By Roger Thomas
The National Security Justifies Censorship by James Zumwalt and Elmo Zumwalt appears in censorship. In the article, it asserts that details that are vital and secret to security of nation should not be released to press. Arguments of Junior and Zumwalt Senior are summarized below.
Even though numerous journalists contend that first amendment guarantees printing freedom unrestricted, the authors believe that the press gained more power than framers of constitution. The authors said that power of media gone far past. Also, they continue to affirm that significant risk exists when confidential details are released to press; the danger remained unresolved by the courts.The authors provide example in proving this point. With the provided examples they cited, they offer two solution: First, make publication of classified details a punishable offense and second, incorporate code of ethics into media guidelines safeguarding national security. It ends the paper by discussing how ethics are responsibility of a good journalism.
James Zumwalt and Elmo Zumwalt assert that media re overpowered and national security is under-protected. The authors believe that government and media must take steps in assuring that disaster will not occur.
When it comes to sample of a summary of an article, it is important that you have three sections: the introduction, body, and conclusion. It is essential that you have these sections for your summary to be good and appealing.
Summary of an Article Sample Do’s and Don’ts
- Ensure to fully understand the article
- Jot down and make notes on the important information
- Use your own words
- Use different sentence structure
- Do not use the same words that original author used
Looking for a proper journal article summary example or you need an inspiration on how rewrite my paper? Then feel free to review it now! Plagiarism is another problem you don’t want to face with. To get an original article you should have perfect rewording skills or simply use our paraphrasing examples to understand the process.